Apple TV got updated to version 4.2 yesterday, which brings some new enhancements to the Google TV competitor. The new update will provide Apple TV users with AirPlay support for iOS 4.3 3rd party apps, as well as live streaming of NBA games and MLB games if you’re a subscriber to the NBA League Pass and MLB.TV respectively. Version 4.2 also brings 5.1 surround sound support for watching Netflix via the device.
I think the AirPlay functionality sounds like the best part of this update. Essentially, it will allow you to wirelessly stream video content from your iDevices to a TV that has the Apple TV box attached to it. I’m guessing AirPlay will require it to be an Apple device for it to work, which means no PC’s or Droids will be able to stream content to Apple TV. This is unlike Google TV, which allows you to stream from any device that supports DNLA technology regardless if it’s an Android based phone, or a Windows based TV.
This is just another example of Apple keeping it in the family where I think they’d be better served if they shared their “ball” if you know what I mean. Oh well, for now they’re doing just fine without sharing, but if the trends in mobile technology continue Apple may find themselves losing out on new customers who prefer a little more freedom when it comes to their toys. At least they do update their TV device, which can’t be said about my Google TV. I haven’t seen an update on that thing since I set it up back in December! For a complete breakdown of the Apple TV 4.2 software upgrade check out the full list below. You’ve been having update envy if you’re a Google TV owner…
Apple TV 4.2 Update for Second Gen Devices
(Courtesy of Apple Insider)
- MLB.TV: Watch live and on-demand Major League Baseball games, access stats, scores and standings.
- NBA: See scores and more, plus League Pass Broadband subscribers get live and archived games.
- AirPlay for apps: Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream video from apps and Safari on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Netflix Dolby Digital 5.1: Enjoy Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound when watching Netflix movies and TV shows
- New slideshow themes: View photos with the new Scrapbook, Photo Mobile, and Holiday Mobile slideshow themes.
- Improved on-screen keyboard: Search and enter names and passwords more easily with the redesigned on-screen keyboard.
[#ff entbuddha] “Making you a better geek, one post at a time!”