As the sequel to a sequel to a sequel no one asked for, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is affable enough. Depp drunkenly wanders through scenes with his trademark Sparrow shtick; he and his comedic crew are placed in conveniently madcap danger, and a new cast – featuring a spotlight stealing Bardem as Captain Salazar – is brought on board to administer, aid and abed said danger. The Pirates franchise has always been sly when it comes to casting, and this our fifth voyage to the Caribbean is no exception.
Quite honestly, if Bardem’s face hadn’t graced the movie poster for Pirates, my guess is that this fifth installment might well have ended the franchise. Depp’s Sparrow, once an entertaining original, has steadily become a cliché of the captain that once was, and the storylines of the franchise have followed suit.
A healthy menu of extras is offered with this release, highlights of which include a short and sweet blooper reel, a selection of deleted scenes, and a seven-part “making of” feature that is – ironically enough – largely based on the production’s views on keeping the franchise fresh and interesting to audiences.
So, with a chest of middling tricks and Depp’s all too played out shtick, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales delivers on its promise because; unfortunately, this dead man tells no new tales.
Studio Synopsis: The rip-roaring adventure—packed with humor, suspense and jaw-dropping special effects—finds down-on-his-luck Captain Jack feeling the winds of ill fortune blowing strongly his way when deadly ghost sailors, led by the terrifying Captain Salazar (Bardem), escape from the Devil’s Triangle bent on killing every pirate at sea—notably Jack.
Running Time: 129 minutes
Number of Disks: 2
– Dead Men Tell More Tales: The Making of a New Adventure – Get unique access into the making of this exciting new “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie with this collection of revealing and entertaining stories that you can view individually or as a “play all.”
– A Return to the Sea: Two talented filmmakers, Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, team up to bring “Pirates of the Caribbean” back to the screen. Hear how this new chapter of the tale was developed.
– Telling Tales: A Sit-down with Brenton & Kaya – Meet Brenton Thwaites and Kaya Scodelario, the young actors behind Henry and Carina. The two sit down together for a revealing conversation on becoming a part of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” film franchise and its continuing legacy.
– The Matador & The Bull: Secrets of Salazar & The Silent Mary – Oscar-winner Javier Bardem reveals more about his menacing new character and the foreboding ship he helms.
– First Mate Confidential: Go on-set along with Kevin McNally, the affable actor behind the feisty Mr. Gibbs, Captain Jack’s reliable first mate from all five movies.
– Deconstructing the Ghost Sharks: Peer below the depths at how these ferocious, mythical monsters were designed and brought to life.
– Wings Over the Caribbean: Captain Jack has a memorable encounter with Sir Paul McCartney – rock ‘n’ roll royalty.
– An Enduring Legacy: Take one more look at the “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” experience and the impact of “Pirates of the Caribbean” — the movies, the ride and beyond.
– Bloopers of the Caribbean
– Jerry Bruckheimer Photo Diary
– Deleted Scenes:
– Henry Turner Learns a Lesson from Captain Jack
– A Whale in Poseidon’s Tomb
– Alternate Coda: Murtogg & Mullroy “Flogging”
Cast: Johnny Depp | Javier Bardem | Geoffrey Rush | Brenton Thwaites | Kaya Scodelario
Directors: Joachim Rønning | Espen Sandberg
Central Writers: Jeff Nathanson (screenplay by) | Jeff Nathanson (story by)
Box Office Release: May 26, 2017
DVD Release: October 3, 2017
Genre: Action | Adventure | Fantasy
Supporting Cast and more Writers found HERE
“Making you a better geek, one post at a time!”