Something is coming. Today. In fact, it’s already here. You can download, play, and inevitably build your very own New New York in Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow right now. According to the Hypnotoad, you will play this. Resistance has no place here.
Worried that this is a money-grab taking advantage of a beloved series? Your skepticism should be applauded with repeated slaps to the face. I, too, normally have the same suspicion, but this is the first official, original content since the series ended in 2013. Creators Matt Groening and David X. Cohen are manning the helm alongside mobile developers TinyCo and Jam City; no group of creators is perfect, but it does dull the doubt. If the video above didn’t successfully convert you into a believer, check out the two new trailers below.
“Bringing Futurama back in such a new and ambitious form was extremely difficult,” said David X. Cohen, Futurama Co-Developer and Head Writer. “Especially for the people I was bossing around and yelling at.” In the same press release, Matt Groening comments on the story: “Hypnotoad has always been one of Futurama‘s most mysterious amphibians,” said Matt Groening. “In this game we finally get to learn much more about his bizarre abilities and mating habits. Perhaps too much more.”
“Jam City has a unique heritage of translating original TV brands, like Futurama, into mobile gaming platforms that will be played by tens of millions of fans worldwide,” continues Chris DeWolfe, Co-Founder and CEO of Jam City. “By blending contemporary culture and science fiction, we have created a next-gen mobile experience for core fans and those who are new to Futurama. We could not be more thrilled to continue the Futurama story here at Jam City.”
Still not convinced? Sheesh, what do you people want? I hope your answer is an AMA on Reddit with a live-streamed Q&A later today because that’s exactly what we’re getting. Check out the details below, check out the trailers (they’re quick and good), then go get drunk with Bender in Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow. That’s my plan, at least.
Reddit AMA Details:
- Matt Groening, David X. Cohen, Billy West, and John DiMaggio will answer fan questions
- This is Matt Groening’s first Reddit AMA ever!
- Live Destination:
- AMA will take place in the r/iAMA subreddit at www.reddit.com/r/iama
- Redditors will be able to submit AMA questions starting at 11 AM PDT on Thursday, June 29, 2017
- Matt, David, Billy, and John will answer questions from 11:30AM – 1PM PDT
Live-streamed Q&A Details:
- Participants: All Reddit AMA participants PLUS
- Phil LaMarr (voice of Hermes Conrad)
- Maurice LaMarche (voice of Kif, Calculon, Lrrr, and more)
- Lauren Tom (voice of Amy Wong)
- Live Destinations:
- Live streams will broadcast from 2:30-3:30PM PDT on Thursday, June 29, 2017
- Q&A format with some questions from commenters on Twitch and/or Facebook
“Making you a better geek, one post at a time!”