EW has posted an interview with George R.R. Martin in which he offers up five new facts for HBO’s upcoming Game of Thrones prequel series. The series will be set 5,000 years prior to the events featured in Game of Thrones, and it will tell tales aimed at fleshing out some of the lore you have read from the books or watched on the show.
Martin did layout a few new concrete details, which are listed below.
- Westeros will be divided into 100 Kingdoms – Martin described that during this time period there were around 100 kingdoms in Westeros, which we know will eventually get whittled down to seven.
- Starks, Direwolves, and Mammoths will be present – Martin confirmed that the Stark family will have a presence in the show since they are direct descendants of the First Men. He also confirmed that fantastical creatures such as direwolves and mammoths will also be present.
- Martin confirmed that there won’t be any Lannisters – Casterly Rock will be in the show, but during this time period, it will still be in the possession of the Casterlys.
- The cast is a true ensemble – While the likes of Naomi Watts, Naomi Ackie, and Denise Gough have gotten most of the press coverage for their roles in this series, Martin confirmed that the show will be more of an ensemble cast than following a true lead character.
- The series may not get the title you’re expecting – According to George, he wants the series to be titled The Long Night, but considering that title was used for S8E3 of Game of Thrones, he thinks The Longest Night may make more sense.
“Making you a better geek, one post at a time!”