Honeyslug’s whimsical Hohokum was on display at Sony’s E3 booth, and it offered one of the more unique gaming experiences from the show. This is a game that truly doesn’t fit into a genre, and at times it seems more like an art project than a video game, but that’s a good thing.
Hohokum’s gameplay charges gamers with controlling a rainbow colored snake-kite creature around 12 distinct levels all with drastically different art styles. One level may be full of nothing but darkness, which can then be brought to life by flying the snake-kite into the various objects that inhabit it. Another level may be full of vibrant colors and objects that can be interacted with, so the look and feel of each location is uniquely different than the last.
The visual palette of Hohokum is definitely one of its strong suits, but the true intriguing feature of this PS4/PS3/PS Vita exclusive is its non-traditional gameplay. Each level requires a different sort of interaction on behalf of the player to complete it. One level had my snake-kite picking up NPCs and pine cone looking seeds so they could fly kites on top of the mountains that graced the level, while another had me running into dark mushroom caps in order to bring some color and life to the otherwise pitch black world.
Hohokum isn’t set for release until 2014, but it’s definitely a cross platform PlayStation title worth looking into. The gameplay is unlike any other video game in this generation, and the next. The freedom to go about the game as you please is refreshing, and the art style has a simplicity that makes it both endearing and memorable. There’s nothing like it in existence, so if you’re into experiencing new styles of gameplay that buck the system, Hohokum will be your mechanism for a unique gaming adventure.
For more details on this interesting title head on down past the break to check out some screens and to read about its key features. Hohokum will be available sometime in 2014 for the PS3, PS4, and PS Vita.
[#ff entbuddha] “Making you a better geek, one post at a time!”
- An Expansive and Playful Universe – Fly, wiggle, zip, loop and roll through over 12 unique worlds with loads of eclectic characters and things to interact with like a massive playground.
- Stylized Gameplay Encounters – From diving with sea creatures to soaring with kites, each world has custom goals, activities, interactions and secrets to uncover — no two levels look the same!
- Captivating Original Artwork – Brought to life from the imaginative artist, Richard Hogg, the world of Hohokum is surreal, youthful and full of color and fun.
- Entrancing Original Soundtrack – Hohokum features new music from various talented artists in collaboration with Ghostly International Records.
- Platform Specific Features – Players will have the opportunity to interact in different ways using control inputs unique to each system such as the PS Vita system’s touch controls or the light bar on the PS4 system’s DUALSHOCK®4 controller.
- Cross-Save Between All 3 Platforms – Players can save their progress on the PS4, PS3, or PS Vita version and continue playing on another version.