Sony’s PlayStation TV is currently $80 on Amazon due to the upcoming Black Friday mega-sales, so there’s a great chance many gamers that didn’t jump on this new hardware when it launched will now be picking it up at the discounted price. The PS TV is an awesome little device if you have a robust network to support its PS4 remote play capabilities, as well as an affinity for classic PS1 games, which many are supported to work on the new TV unit.
PS1 games have been playable on the PS3 and PS Vita for quite some time now, so there’s a great chance you have a fairly large catalogue of classic games already built up with a plethora of saved game files to keep track of your progress in each of them. Unfortunately, managing these existing game saves can be a pain in the butt because they don’t get included in the automatically backed up cloud saves like PS Vita, PS3, and PS4 games. There’s no easy way to get these existing game saves onto the PS TV without using multiple devices, or just swapping to a PS Vita memory card (who really wants to do this), so we’ve put together a simple guide detailing the process you need to take to transfer PS1 game saves from the PS Vita, or the PS3 for that matter, to a new PS TV unit.
How to Transfer PS1 Game Saves From the PS Vita/PS3 to a PlayStation TV
(Also works for PSP game saves)
Required hardware, software, and network setup:
- All devices should have the system software updated if possible first
- PS Vita with PS1 game saves on it, or a PS3 with PS1 game saves on it
- PS TV with a memory card installed (Unless you can fit your PS1 games on the included 1GB of built-in memory)
- A PC or Mac computer
- Content Manager Assistant software for Windows or Mac
- A WiFi network or a USB cable
Steps to get PS1 games saves on a Vita to a PS TV
The PS Vita is a great way to play PS1 classics on the go, or on a device that doesn’t take up the family’s only TV. Many gamers who adopt the PS TV hardware are probably doing so to play these games on it, so theses steps will get your existing PS1 game saves on the Vita onto the PS TV.
This is needed to transfer PS1 saves because they don’t get included in your PS+ cloud drive.
2. Launch the Content Manager Assistant app on the PS Vita that has the PS1 games saves on it and choose the “Copy Content” option
3. Choose “Copy Content” one more time
4. You must then choose the device to connect to, so choose PC or PS3 if you have one (See note below about the PS3)
The PC option is easier because the PS3 will need to have the PS1 game installed and a game save already started to even copy a PS1 game save to it.
5. Pair your PS Vita with the computer you just installed the Content Manager Assistant on by choosing “Register Device”
If you have done this already you can skip to the next step since your devices are registered with each other.
6. Choose the connection type, for this example we will use Wi-Fi
7. Select the PC or Mac that you paired the PS Vita to
8. Once connected focus on the “Copy Content” section and choose the second option
This option allows you to transfer content from the PS Vita to the PC.
9. Now choose Applications
10. Scroll down to the “Saved Data” section and select “PlayStation”
Please note you can also copy the full game files in the “Applications” section of this screen, but the games can be re-downloaded from the PSN Store on the PS TV, so it’s not required.
11. Select the game saves that you want to transfer and then choose “Copy”
The saves will now be saved on the PC or Mac that you have paired the PS Vita to. This process doesn’t take long because the game saves are fairly small. You can now turn on the PS TV and prepare it for the transfer.
12. Turn on the PS TV and launch the Content Assistant Manager app
Repeat Steps 2-7
13. In the “Copy Content” section choose the first option this time (May say PS TV, but the screen looks the same)
This option allows you to transfer content from the PC or Mac to the PS TV.
14. Now choose Applications
15. Scroll down to the “Saved Data” section and select “PlayStation”
16. Select the game saves that you want to transfer and then choose “Copy”
The saves will now be transferred to your PS TV. Once the games are installed on the PS TV you can fire them up and choose the saves you just transferred over and continue playing your favorite PS1 games on the PS TV!
Steps to get PS1 games saves on a PS3 to a PS TV
The process is nearly identical to the one above, but rather than selecting “PC” in Step 4 choose “PS3”. As previously mentioned you will need to have the PS1 game installed on the PS3 with a save file already created to do this, which isn’t the case when using a PC, because it obviously doesn’t need the game to be installed.
Happy transferring, we hope you enjoy your new PS TV.
“Making you a better geek, one post at a time!”