I really hated the word dongle until I met with the guys at HyperX this year at PAX East. Their latest headset, the HyperX Revolver S Premium Gaming Headset, takes what once was their best headset and kicks it into the stratosphere.
The headset has the same comfortable memory foam ear-cups, familiar 50mm drivers, and comfortable headband; but it adds something new. HyperX has integrated Dolby Headphone technology into a new USB dongle that delivers immersive audio at the touch of a button.
The dongle, pictured in the featured image (and some photos down below), is pretty simple. You put on the headphones, adjust it to your desired volume, and hit the button. That button changes the headphone game altogether, and brings whatever you’re listening to to a whole new level.
I don’t like using phrases like “It’s like you’re really there!” because it’s impossible to copy the sound quality of being in the music studio (or battlefield). This phrase is perfectly fair to use in this situation, however.
I got to listen to music and watch gameplay of Battlefield 4, and it was just amazing to listen to. I’ve used headsets like the HyperX CloudX headset–and it’s a great headset–but this headset just completely blew my mind in a way that I didn’t think was possible. Every sound just pops, shotgun blasts feel like they’re going to knock you on your butt, and every little sound in the distance comes through with amazing clarity.
At a price point of $149.99, it’s a solid investment for any gamer and, honestly, for anyone who wants an elevated music-listening experience. For those that want serious technical specs, we’ve got them for you down below. Check them out and let us know what you think!
- Driver: Dynamic, 50mm with neodymium magnets
- Type: Circumaural, Closed back
- Frequency response: 12Hz–28,000 Hz
- Impedance: 30 Ω
- Sound pressure level: 100.5dBSPL/mW at 1kHz
- T.H.D.: < 2%
- Input power: Rated 30mW, Maximum 500mW
- Weight: 360g
- Weight with mic: 376g
- Cable length: Headset: 1m Audio Control Box: 2.2m PC extension cable: 2m
- Connection Type: Headset: 3.5mm plug (4 pole) Audio Control Box: USB PC extension cable: 3.5mm stereo and mic plugs
- Element: Electret condenser microphone
- Polar pattern: Bi-directional, Noise-canceling
- Frequency response: 50Hz-18,000 Hz
- Sensitivity: -44dBV (0dB=1V/Pa,1kHz)
“Making you a better geek, one post at a time!”