It’s Only A Matter Of Time Before Infinity Ward is Killed Off
Mike Hickey of Janco Partners has predicted that Infinity Ward will more than likely be closed after the second piece of DLC for Modern Warfare 2 is released. I think we’ve all seen this coming if you’ve been following the Activision/Infinity Ward saga, which has transpired over the past two months. What a freaking shame. This means that the Modern Warfare 3 title will be developed by someone other than IW, essentially sealing its fate as another shit Call of Duty title.
I guess this means that we’ll never get the true conclusion to the saga of Captain Price and Soap Mctavish. Do you think the suits at Activision are starting to second guess F’ ing with the Infinity Ward studio heads now? Greedy assholes, you reap what you sow!
IW has lost over 26 of its 100 original members, so if the studio does remain open it’ll never have the same creativity and skill that it once possessed. In fact 38 Infinity Ward studio employees have recently filed a lawsuit against Activison for un-paid royalties. One of their lawyers, Bruce Isaacs, an attorney at Wyman & Isaacs LLP, said the following in regards to the [slider title=”IWEG”]IWEG – Infinity Ward Employees Group. This is the band of IW folk who have filed the lawsuit against Activision.[/slider] lawsuit:
“Activision owes my clients approximately $75 million to $125 million dollars. Activision has withheld most of the money to force many of my people to stay, some against their will, so that they would finish the delivery of Modern Warfare 3. That is not what they wanted to do. Many of them. My clients’ entitled to their money. Activision has no right to withhold their money — our money.”
The IWEG contains “a significant portion of the members of the creative team” who “designed, developed and delivered” Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. According to the lawsuit, $28 million has been delivered to Infinity Ward employees for bonuses related to Modern Warfare 2, but the suit alleges at least $54 million is still due from 2009 profits alone.
They want more than $54 million, however. The IWEG is looking “to recover between $75 million and $125 million, if not more, in compensatory damages.” That number’s derived from:
- Unpaid bonuses from 2009 and 2010 sales generated by Modern Warfare 2 — fourth quarter 2009 and first quarter 2010, specifically.
- Bonuses “due and owing to them” past first quarter 2010.
- “Bonus/royalty/profit participation” related to “technology/engine” royalties, “other special performance bonuses,” “other studio bonuses” or “any other bonus/royalty/profit participation.”‘
- Lost value on “restricted stock units” that Activision “promised” would vest (read: own it in your own name and purchase it from Activision) when Modern Warfare 2 sales eclipsed Modern Warfare 1, which “has long ago occurred.”
- Money owed as it relates to Modern Warfare 2 “sister games, including but not limited to” the oft-mentioned Modern Warfare 3, “if Modern Warfare 3 is ultimately delivered and marketed.”
- Interest rates related to the above sums of money.
What a freaking mess huh? It really does blow that in this day and age something you create can be stolen and abused by the company who took you over. Actvision the obvious bad guy in this, responded to the lawsuit by saying:
“Activision believes the action is without merit. Activision retains the discretion to determine the amount and the schedule of bonus payments for MW2 and has acted consistent with its rights and the law at all times. We look forward to getting judicial confirmation that our position is right”.
I hope those assholes pay! Long live the common man! You’ve been hopefully angered…
E.B. “Making you a better geek, one post at a time!”