Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and now Lego Dimensions.
The newest addition to the toy-based video game market is one that will be able to draw from many different licenses, of which to start will include DC Comics, The Lord of the Rings, The Lego Movie, The Wizard of Oz, Lego Ninjago, and Back to the Future.
The game releases September 27 and will be available on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and Wii U. The starter pack for $99.99 includes the game, the LEGO Toy Pad (the mechanism to import special mini figures into the game as well as other Lego objects), bricks to build the Lego Gateway, three mini figures (Lego Batman, Lego Gandalf, and Wyldstyle from The Lego Movie), plus the Lego Batmobile.
In addition to the starter pack, Lego also plans to sell expansion packs called level packs, team packs, and fun packs which will allow players to add buildable characters, vehicles, tools, and gadgets. The expansions will also include game content with new missions, levels, and in-game abilities. The Lego Dimensions game already boasts a stellar lineup of licenses but Lego isn’t done yet. Planned for release in 2015 are:
- A Back to the Future Level Pack with a Lego Marty McFly minifigure
- A Lego Ninjago Team Pack with Kai and Cole minifigures
- Three Ninjago Fun Packs with Jay, Nya and Zane minifigures
- Two DC Comics Fun Packs with Wonder Woman and Cyborg minifigures
- Three The Lord of the Rings Fun Packs with Lego Gollum, Lego Gimli and Lego Legolas minifigures
- Four The Lego Movie Fun packs with Emmet, Bad Cop, Benny and Unikitty characters
- A The Wizard of Oz Fun Pack with a Lego Wicked Witch of the West minifigure
Lego assures that future expansion packs will still work with the starter pack “even in the fall of next year”. More announcements about future expansions will be coming in the months leading to the launch.
“Making you a better geek, one post at a time!”