Major nelson has rolled out some information on the latest update for the Xbox One, which is now being pushed to the console. The most significant change that this update adds to the Xbox One is the ability to play 3D Blu-rays, which was also just added to the PS4 a few weeks ago.
The other updates add requested features from the Xbox Feedback forum that include mobile purchases, activity feed updates, battery updates, and new ways to mange notifications. The update will also allow you to see how long you’ve gone without seeing certain friends online. The full details on the August Xbox One update can be found below. You can also check out a short preview video above. The update is rolling out now and will continue to do so over the next few days.
August Xbox One Software Update
- Mobile purchase: One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home – if your console is set to automatically take updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase.
- Activity feed updates: We’re adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We’ll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publically (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You’ll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).
- Low battery notification: You asked for it, now a notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.
- Disable notifications during video: Adding the ability to turn off notifications based feedback we heard from you.
- Enabling 3D Blu-ray: An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.
- Last seen time in Friends list: Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, “Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”
“Making you a better geek, one post at a time!”