Rian Johnson, the Director of Star Wars Episode VIII, has been mum on his film’s plot since he started filming this time last year. His silence has come to an end thanks to an interview with USA Today, in which he discusses two of the film’s main plot threads.
Now these revelations from Johnson shouldn’t shock serious fans, because they’re pretty obvious if you’ve been keeping your Force sensors dialed in. For starters, Rian confirmed that for the first time in a Star Wars sequel it will begin right where the previous film ended, so we will be treated to more of Rey and Luke’s first meeting. Johnson said, “I don’t want to skip ahead two years. I want to see the very next moment of what happens.”
Johnson confirmed that Episode VIII will mostly explore why Luke is in seclusion and his relationship with Rey, and that “a large part of the movie” will focus on their dynamic and what Luke is planning to do next. In regards to Rey’s role Johnson explained what she will be dealing with by saying, “part of what’s she’s dealing with is the realization that she has this power and this gift. She’s taking her first step to coming to terms with this thing inside her that she never knew was there and is just starting to reveal its potential.”
Like I said earlier these two confirmations on Episode VIII’s plot aren’t that mind blowing or world shattering, but considering this is the first time Johnson has gone on record to describe the plot, it had to be shared.
Star Wars Episode VIII hits theaters on December 15, 2017.
“Making you a better geek, one post at a time!”
Via [USA Today]